Back pain can be caused by a number of things, including some sort of strenuous activity like gardening, weight lifting, or simply twisting the body in an unnatural way. This is a condition that can make life extremely miserable, since normal daily activities would be hard to carry out when one is in constant pain. There are many ways to alleviate the symptoms, including the following 6 effective tips to manage back pain.
1. Go easy on the bed rest — contrary to what many people believe, people who spend days lying on their beds in the hope that the pain will go away, find that the pain lingers for longer than with people who stay active. According to the experts, back pain is more likely to go away if the patient starts moving around as soon as possible.
2. Maintain a good posture — although the pain might have started after a workout at the gym or while gardening, the cause of the strain probably started years before. Since most people have poor posture, unnecessary strain is put on their backs, eventually leading to a painful back. Make sure to have good posture when sitting or standing while carrying out your daily activities.
3. Apply heat and ice — an ice pack or heating pad can help to ease a painful back. Doctors suggest using an ice pack for the first two days, especially if there is swelling and then switching to a heating pad.
4. Sleep correctly — sleeping in the correct position every night is just as important as getting the right amount of sleep. To prevent backache from sleeping incorrectly, you could try:
• Sleep with a pillow under your knees if you tend to lie on your back
• Put a pillow between your knees if you sleep on your side, to make sure that your spine stays properly aligned
• Avoid sleeping on your stomach, since this position causes the head and neck to twist and put unnecessary strain on the back
5. Practice relaxation techniques — studies carried out show that relaxation techniques like deep breathing, meditation, yoga and tai chi, can do wonders for an aching back.
6. See a professional — creating a personalised exercise routine is extremely important to manage back pain. While medication and certain methods work for some people, they don’t work for others. If the above tips don’t help to relieve your back pain, then try the guys at Healing Hands who specialise in back ailments, to help you develop the correct exercise routine.